Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 12 small whole wheat sandwich buns
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 pound package thinly sliced chicken lunch meat
- 6 slices American cheese, cut into quarters
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Layer the chicken and cheese on the roll bottoms. Top with the roll halves and set aside.
In small saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion starts to brown a bit.
Remove from heat and stir in the brown sugar, honey mustard, and thyme until sauce combines. Drizzle over the sandwiches.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the tops are crisp and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.