Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 15 oz. can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained
Bring to a boil and add rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is tender, stirring frequently.
Add beans and cover. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until well heated, stirring frequently. You can serve the recipe at this point.
Or, to freeze, cool casserole in refrigerator and ladle into plastic freezer containers. Seal and freeze. To reheat, place frozen jambalaya in saucepan and heat over very low heat, breaking up and stirring frequently, until hot.
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 770 mg
Vitamin C: 30%