You do need to be careful with chicken. Read All About Chicken to get safety and cooking tips. Remember to cook dark meat chicken to 165 degrees F, with a 5 minute standing time so the temp rises to 170 degrees F. The dark meat will still be tender and juicy
How to Grill Chicken
- Prepare and preheat your grill for two-sided grilling (one hot side, one cooler side). For a gas grill, first preheat the whole thing, then turn one or two burners down to medium. For a charcoal grill, build a two-level fire; one side should be three-four briquettes thick, the other one briquette thick.
- Make sure the grill rack is impeccably clean. Lightly oil the grill rack using a crumpled up paper towel dipped in oil. Hold the paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grill.
- Follow the recipe carefully. Bone-in chicken cooks for a longer time than boneless pieces. Cover the grill except when turning the chicken.
- First brown and sear the chicken on all sides. Brown boneless thighs and drumsticks for 4-5 minutes on each side. Sear bone-in pieces for 5-6 minutes on each side. Never turn chicken until it can be moved easily or you'll tear the meat.
- Move boneless chicken pieces to the cooler side of the grill and cook for another 3-4 minutes on each side, turning once, until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks.
- Move bone-in pieces to the cooler side of the grill and cook for another 5-7 minutes on each side, turning once, until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks.
- If you want to brush with a sauce, do so in the last 5-10 minutes on the grill or the sauce will burn.
- Remove chicken from the grill, cover, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes to let the juices redistribute and to let the temp climb to the perfect number. Then serve it proudly.
Grilled Chicken Thigh and Drumstick Recipes
- Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
Teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and honey, along with onion, garlic, and ginger root make a fabulously flavorful marinade and glaze for this wonderful recipe.
- Cranberry Grilled Chicken
Cranberry sauce and ketchup make an unusual and delicious glaze for this tender grilled chicken.
- Honey Ginger Chicken Thighs
Gingerroot is a fabulous spice to use with rich chicken thighs. This simple recipe is fun and easy to make.
- Glazed Drumsticks with Veggies
Pineapple preserves and chili sauce create a flavorful glaze in this five ingredient meal recipe.
- Garlic Drumsticks
A garlicky sauce is brushed onto tender drumsticks as they grill for fabulous flavor. This recipe can also be roasted in the oven.
- Sweet and Sour Grilled Chicken
Curry powder, pineapple juice, and honey combine for a wonderful glaze on tender chicken thighs.
- Spicy Barbecued Drumsticks
A homemade barbecue sauce (with some help from a purchased sauce) makes this recipe so tasty.
- Gingery Glazed Chicken Drumsticks
A sauce packed with ginger root, garlic, soy sauce, and lemon juice is the perfect complement to tender chicken in this simple recipe.
- Grilled Curried Chicken Wings
This wonderful recipe can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish. I love the combination of curry powder, garlic, and honey in this easy recipe.
- Grilled Five Ingredient Chicken Dinner
This five ingredient meal is so easy and delicious. And it's ready in about 40 minutes!