Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) package large pasta shells
- 1 (26-ounce) jar chunky pasta sauce with mushrooms and peppers
Place cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta, and eggs in food processor; blend until smooth. Remove to large bowl. Stir in 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and onion mixture.
Cook pasta shells for 2 minutes less than the time recommended on the package. Drain well, rinse with cold water, and place on cookie sheet. Fill shells with the cheese mixture.
Spray a 13" x 9" glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce in the bottom and place the shells, stuffed side up, on top. Spoon the rest of the pasta sauce over all.
At this point, you can cover and refrigerate the casserole up to 48 hours. Or bake it immediately. To eat right away, top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and bake for 25-35 minutes until casserole is bubbling and cheese browns. To bake from the refrigerator, top with the cheeses and bake for 40-50 minutes until bubbly and browned.